Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Blizzard

Well, it is cold here! This morning when I got up it was seven degrees below zero - no wind chill involved. It's a balmy three degrees above, now! I've lived in Missouri more than 17 years, and I just can't get used to seeing that kind of number associated with the temperature. Then, to actually call it a blizzard is just unreal. Having lived through the 'blizzard,' I have to say that I'm disappointed. Yes, it snowed for more than 24 consecutive hours. Yes, the wind howled and howled. And, yes, sometimes I couldn't see my neighbor's house across the street. But, the aftermath is just a snow-covered world like after almost any other snow event. Very beautiful! I don't know what I expected. 
Keenan's car in the swirling snow

 My tendency in this weather is to hunker down in the house, and stay there. I have ventured out to get firewood. I also had to go out because the little cap at the base of our stovepipe was blown off. We had ash all over the east side of our yard. 

Mostly, I like to look out the window for little visual surprises. I found one this morning. It may not make you smile, but it is interesting to me. It is how the melting snow looks on the sill outside after the sun shone on it yesterday. I wonder how long it will take to really melt away?

I also love the way the wind blew the snow into 'steppes,' like a desert. While the blizzard was swirling around us, it reminded us of sand dunes. Now, the drifts and layers are frozen in place and have a glistening top. It's like a wonderland.
Thanks to Kevin, our driveway is all clear and we are free to go - out into Wonderland!


No comments: