When I was little, we celebrated Christmas with our extended families at least twice each year. On Christmas Eve, we drove across town to Grandma and Grandpa Epps' house on Beacon Hill in Seattle. Uncle Al, Uncle Fred and Uncle Gary and their families would be there, as well as Aunt Sally. We always had fun with our cousins. Other relatives and friends came, also; some of them were such regulars, I thought they were our relatives!
Usually, on Christmas Day, we went back to Grandma Epps' for a nice Christmas dinner. It was a more relaxed day, but just as exciting since we had opened our gifts the night before and Christmas morning.
On the first or second weekend after the New Year, we gathered with the Hoyle family; sometimes at our house, sometimes at Jake and Helen's, sometimes at John and Ethel's. I have always loved how this extended our Christmas season well into January.
But, before I was born, my parents spent their first Christmas together in an apartment on Boren Avenue in Seattle. Here are a few pictures taken at that time. This was the only Christmas they spent together without children, as I was born the following December - before Christmas!

No comments:
Post a Comment