One of the great delights of the Christmas season for me has always been the wonderful displays of Christmas lights. When our children were young, many times the sighting of simple lights around a window, or a tree viewed through a window, was enough to calm them on a longer-than-they-liked drive. Even now, I feel a little thrill of happiness when I come upon an especially intricate display. I so appreciate the work involved for such a short season; but, oh! the joy that work brings to passers-by.
Our parents made it a tradition when we lived in Seattle to drive to "Candy Cane Lane" in Ravenna to 'ooh' and 'ahh' over the displays in that neighborhood. How we loved it! I learned it has been a tradition for the people there to go all out with their Christmas decorating since 1949. I also saw that despite vandalism this year, they're carrying on. I'm so glad! The delight will continue.


No comments:
Post a Comment