Monday, December 5, 2011

Christmas Memories, December 5th

One of my favorite things about Christmas from my childhood is wearing matching, or coordinating, clothes. I'm pretty sure Mom made our outfits most years. It was always fun for me to 'dress up.' It still is. I'm not sure we did it every year, but often enough that it became a tradition for me.
This picture was taken on Christmas Eve in 1962 at Grandma Epps' house. Aren't we adorable?!

Rich, Joleen, Gary & Jaci
I especially love that this tradition has continued in my family. I worked pretty hard most years to make matching dresses for our girls, though there were some years we did some desperate, last-minute shopping. The boys (and Daddy) usually got new ties that coordinated with the dresses. One year, we even did pink! Here is a picture of our family in 1977 taken at Grandma Epps' house in Maple Valley.


In later years, we, the collective, sewed and shopped to see that all of us, including grandchildren and like-family-friends, had matching clothing. It became a monster! Last year, we changed it up and did a retro Christmas. That was fun, too.


 Now, what to do for 2011? :)
 

No comments: