Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas Memories, December 23rd

Christmas Carols! And other Christmas music, too! EVERY year, without exception, we sing carols and hymns of the season. I get out my violin and play them, too; not as well as I used to, but happily. 

My early memories of singing on Christmas Eve are of being at my grandparents Epps' house. Grandma played the piano and the organ beautifully. We gathered 'round her and sang along. Our family has held to this same tradition, though the pianists have changed through the years. Sometimes, a capella is the order of the day. No matter what, it is wonderful!

Mom and Dad always sang with us in the car and we took turns choosing which one we wanted to sing. I guess I liked that a lot because I kept it up with our children. Sometimes, when I'm alone in the car, I even sing a carol, or two. :)

In 1995, when we lived near the Far West Temple Site, I invited everyone I knew to join me at the site to sing the Christmas hymns from our hymnal. Many of us, probably around 25 or 30, braved the elements of the Missouri winter every year, but one, since then to sing those hymns. What a very special experience. I hope it continues.

Click here to hear "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" by the cast from Glee.

1 comment:

The Bears said...

So fun. I didn't know many lullabys when River was born, so I just sang him Christmas songs instead. He loved it and I loved finally having someone who liked my singing.